Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Our Shaking World Project

Lithosphere LayerEarthquakesEarthquakes are caused by Transform Plate Boundary. The epicenter is the point on Earth's surface above the focus, the focus is the point where the first movement occurs during an earthquake. A seismograph records the earthquake and the magnitude is the measurement of energy released by the earthquake. Seismic waves are waves of energy caused by a sudden breaking of rock within Earth or an explosion. P waves are primary waves moving back and forth. S waves move up and down. L waves move in all directions and the most dangerous. A tsunami (an underwater earthquake or a volcanic eruption) is an upward wave caused by thrust/reverse faultAsthenosphere LayerPlate TectonicsPlate tectonics is the theory that the Earth's outer layer has been made up of plates that have moved throughout history the asthenosphere is the melted layer of the mantle. Plate tectonics are large solid pieces of earth's surface. The convection currents make the earth's plate tectonics move. The heat from the outer core makes magma go up and then go down again when it reaches the crust, making circles. Because plates float on the mantle, they can sometimes collide. The collision of plates causes damages on earth like, earthquakes, volcanoes, lava fields, and deep sea trenches. The three types of Convergent Boundaries are Ocean-Ocean that forms arcs of islands and strato volcanoes. Ocean-Continent which forms volcanoes and mountain ranges. Continent-Continent forms huge mountain ranges like the Himalayas in Nepal.

Mantle Layer
Plate Boundaries

Divergent Boundary are plates moving away from each other causing the crust to split apart, magma rising from the mantle and depending on where this boundary happens, either on land or sea, it forms mid-ocean ridges or rift valleys. Convergent Boundaries are plates coming together forming mountains, a subduction zone, and volcanoes formation. Transform Boundaries are plates slideing past each other forming a big release cause of a violent earthquake on Earth. Tsunamis (an underwater earthquake) are caused by thrust/reverse fault. A hot spot is an island having active volcanoes for example, Hawaii is an island make up of volcanoes that are no longer active.


Critical Thinking


The scientist Alfred Wegener was the creator of the Continental Drift theory. To prove that his theory was true, he provided a bunch of evidence. Fossils, rock records, mountain ranges and the puzzle. The puzzle is also known as Pangaea, first the continents were all together and then they started to spread apart to the positions where they are in now. I definitely agree with the theory of plate tectonics. All the evidence there is, completely shows that the continents moved due to convection currents.

Reflection

1. What did you enjoy most about this project and why?

 I enjoyed the diversity of topics we could do in this project and the creativity some students had while creating models, mini posters or foldables. This was a really big project and its a great way to learn about each layer of the Earth, I liked it because everyday when we came to class, everyone had something different to do and then get tested. 

2. What was most challenging for you during this project? 

At the beginning of the project, getting tested on the Lithosphere layer was very difficult for me, I think for most students was challenging too. I founded hard because it was the beginning of a new topic and there were so many things to remember that I was very nervous to even raise my hand and say "Ms. Kara I'm ready"! 

3. What new skills did you learn from doing this project? 

I learned how to use slide share, make references on my own without mistakes -I hope so, also make my own mini quizzes and hand-outs. 

4. Is there anything that you could have done to improve any of your work? 

Definitely! At the end of the project I realized that my Mantle layer could have been better but unfortunately I couldn't work on my project at home. I think that I should have spent more time on each mini poster to put much more creativity on it but at the end, my project was done just in time and I had enough time to present my activities to my classmates. 


1 comment: